Sunday, February 18, 2018

Batik Love

As I look back on my previous blog posts, I noticed how many of my recent projects have involved batik fabrics.

The more I use them, the more I love them.

Some of the reasons are practical - because of the higher thread-count base fabric, they are crisp and flat and stable, so they finger-press very nicely.  I can get nice accurate results in my finished quilts.

The other reasons are more aesthetic.  The colors are just glorious, and the shading and prints are beautiful.  I feel like an artist when I'm creating with batiks and the batiks are my paints.

But it's more than that...

While I was pressing the fabrics for this latest set of batik placemats to list on Etsy, it hit me...

It's the smell!

Have you ever noticed the odor of hot pressed batiks?  When heated with an iron, the residual wax left in the fabric from the manufacturing process smells exactly like a new box of


It takes me back to my childhood and the thrill of opening a brand-new box of crayons.
One of my favorite things...

Thursday, February 8, 2018

A Stitch In Color - a new quilt!

I have a new quilt project to share with you today.  I spent a snowy afternoon yesterday arranging all the units on my design wall.  Looks like my design wall is just the right size for this one!

My DIL sent me a jelly roll that she bought, and asked me to make her something with it.  Together, we picked out the pattern, and after auditioning several background fabrics, finally decided on Kona White.  It keeps the quilt very fresh and modern-looking.

The fabric collection is A Stitch In Color by Malka Dubrawsky for Moda.

The pattern is Hexie Framed by Quilty Love.

I sewed all the white strips on to the half hexies at a quilting retreat a couple of weeks ago.  Each piece had to be sewn, pressed, then trimmed.  It's very repetitious - perfect for working on at a retreat while talking and laughing with friends.  Yes, I whined a little, but it was so satisfying to know that I got them all done!

Now they are all stacked in rows and ready to sew together.  Guess I know what I'll be doing for the next few days.  (I write numbers on flower head pins with a sharpie to keep track of my rows.)

And as an add-on, for those of you following my placemat progress, I shared pics of upcoming fabric collections in a previous post (here) and I have finished both sets and have listed them in my Etsy Shop, Cotton Cellar.  You can click here to view the listings.

Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Baby Quilt Finished

The Batik Baby Quilt is labeled, bound, and on it's way to the new baby boy.  I've done many baby quilts for this client, and she always asks for quilts that will grow with the baby into adult-hood, not too "baby-ish".  This batik quilt fits the bill.

I quilted the center with straight lines, forming an 8-pointed star in each block, and used the same curved line design in the border that I used on the last baby quilt.  All ruler work, done on my APQS George.

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Fabric Fun

It's so much fun to dig through  my collection of batiks and pull fabrics for the placemats I've been making to  list in my Etsy shop.  The color play is addictive!  Can't wait to start sewing these together!

Thursday, January 4, 2018

Batik Strip Quilt Top

Yesterday I finished piecing the top of this Batik Strip Quilt that I mentioned in my previous post.  Borders are on and it's ready to baste and quilt, once I find a backing fabric.  Time to go fabric shopping!

Tuesday, January 2, 2018

A New Year, A New Quilt

I rang in the New Year in my Cotton Cellar, working on a custom quilt order.  My client asked for a Winter palette of dark blue, green, and gray batiks, so this is what I selected.  I think it's just what she requested.

I'm using a Tube Strip Set technique I learned from this Missouri Star Quilt Company video.  It's a duplicate of this quilt that my daughter pieced, and I finished for this same client, other than the color scheme.

And while I was waiting for those batiks to arrive in the mail, I put the borders on my One Block Wonder quilt.  I hope to quilt it soon...

Monday, December 18, 2017

A New Product for my Etsy Shop

After finishing my long list of Christmas Quilts, I was in the mood to try something different - and SMALLER - like placemats!  The perfect small quilting project.

I have a HUGE collection of batiks, so I spent a couple of days cutting some of the smaller pieces up into 5" Charm Squares.  Now I have this wonderful palette to pick from when I am designing each set.  Just like getting a jumbo box of new crayons when I was a kid.  Such fun!

I love the crisp "hand" of the batiks, and the "artsy" look they give to projects.

So far, I have completed two sets and have listed them in my Cotton Cellar Etsy Shop.  Etsy now lets me add 10 pictures for each listing, so if you want to see more, including the gorgeous batik fabric I used for the backs, just Click Here.  They are pretty enough to be reversible!

I tried a new batting for this project, Quilters Dream 80/20 Fusion, and I have to say, this stuff is awesome!  I haven't tried it in a quilt yet, but it's perfect for placemats!  The fusible side is very, very subtle - just looks like a few light strands of spider web - but it holds perfectly.  I used 505 basting spray to secure the tops, and the Fusion is fused to the backs.
Love, Love, Love it!

(note - while their website lists 2 Fusion options, Cotton or Poly, they have recently discontinued them and now offer an 80/20 blend of Fusion, which is what I used.)

Now it's time to step away for a bit and get some of my last minute Christmas prep items done.

Wishing you all a Merry Christmas!