Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Tasting Table Tuesday - Family Ties Progress Report

Last week I washed the ties, and this week I dissected them.  After many hours with my seam ripper, the wheat has been separated from the chaff, so to speak...
The pile on the left is the "chaff" or unusable scrap/waste - and the pile on the right is the "wheat" or the usable remains of each tie.  Somehow, the two piles combined seem even larger than the original pile of ties!

The process involves opening up the seam that runs the entire length of the tie, removing the interfacing that's inside each one, cutting out the lining on each end, and of course - removing the labels.
I always save the labels when I dissect the ties.  I don't know if I'll use them in any of the projects or not, but it's nice to hang on to them, just in case.  You never know when inspiration might strike.

The dissecting process is a very tedious, laborious task, but it's a nice break to just sit and do mindless work like this sometimes, and reading the labels is so interesting.  They come from all over the world, and as I sit and pick out the stitches my mind wanders and I think of all the places these ties might have been in their lifetime...

Now it's time to start pressing and fusing interfacing to them all...
'Till next time...
Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from my readers make me smile!