Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Tasting Table Tuesday - Another Pennsylvania Mountain Quilt

The first of the Family Ties quilts has arrived safely at it's destination, and my clients couldn't be happier.  It always makes me feel so good to hear back from a happy customer.  They have selected the background fabric for the next three quilts, but for a quick change of scenery, I'm squeezing in a custom baby quilt before I start the next one.

You may remember this post about a series of Pennsylvania Mountain Baby Quilts I've made for a return customer.  She loves to give these baby quilts as gifts.  They are quilts that are reminders of the beautiful mountains in this part of northcentral Pennsylvania, and because they don't exactly look "baby-ish", they will last as these kids grow up.

My client always gives me a color palette for each quilt, and this time she has requested lavender, sage green, light blue, and gray.  Here's what I chose...



It's hard to get the colors to show up correctly, but I've selected some assorted soft, silvery grays for the "sky" of each block, and pastel shades of lavender, blue & green for the mountains.

I make my mountain blocks using my own method of piecing, that starts with 2 squares - a sky fabric and a mountain fabric.  Each pair makes two half-square-triangles that I slice, trim, shuffle, then sew back together to make a mountain.

The border fabric is a gorgeous batik that contains ALL of the colors in this palette.
More on that in a future post.

Now I'm off to lunch with "the girls".

Cheers!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments from my readers make me smile!