Monday, August 18, 2014

Fabric Stretching

No, I'm not literally "stretching" cotton quilting fabric, but I am certainly stretching the number of projects I can get out of it!  I finally broke down and bought the "Color Collection" fabrics that I've been dreaming about for weeks.  I didn't have a plan yet, but had several ideas rolling around for things I could do with this group.  So I bought a quarter yard of each of the thirty fabrics.

The ideas followed quickly thereafter, but which to make first?  So I cut for them all!  First, I cut a 2 1/2" strip from each piece, so right off the bat I have a jelly roll!  Not sure what I'm going to do with them yet, but I'm sure I'll come up with something...

Next, I cut everything I needed to make the quilt shown in this EQ7 drawing in the background of this picture (and made all the half-square triangles it requires).

The next quilt on the list was a pinwheel quilt from a pattern by Karen Montgomery called Milky Way, using her new Creative Grids ruler.  I know I should have finished my first quilt, but I'm easily distracted... :)
 I made it smaller than the pattern called for, to accomodate the 30 fabrics I had to work with.  I chose to use two fabrics in each pinwheel.  I like the effect it gives.  The background fabric is an ecru-colored fabric  by Timeless Treasures.  I just love the movement the subtle swirls and spirals give to the quilt!

(This quilt will be living at Needles Quilt Shop for a while, as a shop sample.)

And wait - there's more!  I still had fabric left, so I cut the smaller pieces into more 2 1/2" strips and 1 1/2" strips of various lengths.  These will go into the little baskets of strips I use for my mosaic quilts and log cabin blocks.

That still left me with a good-sized rectangle of each fabric, probably about 6" x 8", that will get added to my scrap bin.  I'm sure I'll find a use for them too!
Did I mention that I LOVE COLOR!

Cheers!


2 comments:

Comments from my readers make me smile!